According to the IODA Articles of Association Item 8, Technical Commitee, "There shall be a Technical Committee with up to four members to:
- Be responsible for, maintain, understand and know the International Optimist Dinghy Class Rules, plans and measurement form.
- Examine any proposal from a Member for amendments or interpretations.
- Maintain close liaison with World Sailing and request interpretations from World Sailing as considered advisable. The Chairman shall ensure that rulings and interpretations made by World Sailing are promptly forwarded to the Secretariat.
- Make recommendations to the Annual General Meeting.
- Prescribe procedures for measurement during the Optimist World Championship and Continental Championships, and act as the authority on any issue as to the interpretation or application of the Class Rules.
- Ensure the appropriate standards are met on an ongoing basis by sailors and builders/suppliers of equipment.
Members of the Technical Committee shall be elected at an Annual General Meeting" (article 8 of the Articles of Association). The requisites for the nominations and the unofficial guidelines for candidates can be found in the IODA Handbook.
The current members of the Technical Committee are:
Chairman: OLIVE PARKER (IRL)
JEAN LUC GAUTHIER, IM (FRA)
TREEN (CURLY) MORRIS, IM (IRE)
ALEXANDRA WILLIMAN, (URU)
IODA Prototype Measurer: CONXA ONTIVEROS, IM (ESP)