How to bid for an IODA Event
The deadline to receive bids for 2020 IODA events will be 1st May 2018.
The following are the steps to follow in order to bid for an IODA event: Continental or World Championship.
- Download the relevant documentation from the links below.
- Read the relevant IODA Conditions, the Regatta Manual and the application itself and contact us if you have any doubt about their contents. These documents are the 'contract' with IODA with regards to the organisation of the event
- The IODA Handbook contains the Conditions for the Optimist World Championship, the Conditions for the IODA Continental Championships and the specific Conditions for the relevant Continental Championship (the last two are complimentary). The conditions are the rules governing the IODA events and apply for organisers and participants as well.
- The IODA Regatta Manual contains explanations of the rules in the Conditions and pieces of advice regarding the organisation of IODA events, from the moment you apply up to the end of the event itself.
- Fill in the application form and return to us before the deadline indicated above.
- Once the application has been received by the IODA Secretariat the Executive Committee analyse it and will contact you if they have any doubt.
- Presentation before the AGM: This is not compulsory but it is highly recommended. Somebody from the 'Bidding' Committee should travel to the venue of the World Championship and present the proposal at the relevant meeting (Continental or World - see Programme above). It is advisable that this person is somebody in authority and with sound knowledge of the proposal. Representatives will ask questions and the more accurate the answers are the more possibilities you have of a successful bid.
Please note the following:
- The application has to be endorsed by the MNA as well as by the IODA member. By signing the application you agree to the terms and conditions in the IODA Handbook and in the Regatta Manual. (please see conditions 7 and 10 of the Conditions for the Optimist Worlds; and Conditions 8 and 11 of the Conditions for the IODA Continentals)
- (only if you are selected as the venue) The Notice of Race and the Sailing Instructions are prepared by the IODA Regatta Committee based on the IODA standards. You can see the current standard version of the NoR downloading the NoRs of this year's relevant event. (See calendar) These documents are sent to you to be filled in with local information but no alterations are allowed. The same criteria apply to the race management procedures, which shall follow the IODA standards. You can write to the firstname.lastname@example.org if you want a copy of the current standard SI.
- The members of the Jury are nominated by the IODA Executive in consultation with the Regatta Committee and with the organisers.
If you are interested in hosting an IODA event please contact the secretariat email@example.com.